Friday 24 July 2015

City of Bones by Cassandra Clare | Book Review


City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1)

Disclaimer: this is a major head rant written immediately after finishing City of Bones where i hadn't had a chance to fully process all of the book and therefore definitely does contain spoilers (sorry!)

So a while back my dear friend Amy lent me the first three books in The Mortal Instrument series and I was super excited to read it, having seen SO MUCH about it in the booktube/YA world and it really was time for me to read it.

At first, I thought it was a bit slow. I wasn't really intrigued too much into the characters – nothing stood out to me as that interesting. But I was only 50 pages in, so I powered through, and I am glad I did!


The story progresses and things get intense. Cassandra Clare creates a really fascinating world, a world which I could really get to grips with. One thing I will say is that I felt there was too much all at once for me to understand – this would’ve been okay if Clary had also felt overwhelmed by this entirely new world – but she wasn’t at all?  She just seemed to accept all these mythological creatures as obvious and got on with it (which, I guess looking back is kinda badass, but maybe not as believable.)

I really enjoyed the pacing of the book too – the fast, action paced scenes were mixed with some slower paced, character developing scenes which I really liked. And it definitely isn’t predictable; I don’t think I predicted any of the twists that were thrown at us.

SPOILERS PROBABLY FROM HERE ON OUT

And this is where I begin to get a problem –about 70 pages from the end when Clary and Jace find out the ‘truth’ about Valentine and their relationship with him. Whilst Clary’s is believable and makes sense within the information we’ve already been told, I just don’t get why Jace would also be his son. And no one questioned it?!?!?!

Valentine said it, and everyone just believed him like this is the one thing I don’t understand?? And everyone immediately took it on board with no question. Even Luke started referring to Jace as Clary’s brother like WHAT ON EARTH IS GOING ON.

I don’t know; I don’t feel a dying need to read the next one now as I feel like it’s kind of ridiculous. And I know if I do carry on reading, things will begin to make sense and it will get a lot better. But from where I’m standing having just read the first one, I  feel like I don’t wanna waste my time reading through the next book, and maybe even the 3rd one just to find out ‘oops they’re not brother and sister’.


Basically, I’m in denial. And when I’m out of said denial, then I’ll read City of Ashes.

Best Wishes and DFTBA

Jaz

No comments:

Post a Comment